Fallen bladder also known in different names such as Cystocele, Bladder Prolapse etc. is a condition which affects the bladder. It is a condition in which the bladder drops or sags into the vagina due to weakening of the wall between the bladder and vagina. This condition may cause unwanted urine leakage.
Based on the severity, Cystocele is classified into the following:
- Grade 1: In this stage, the bladder droops only a short way which is the mildest form of Cystocele.
- Grade 2: Moderately severe stage where the bladder drops very near to the vaginal opening.
- Grade 3: Most severe stage in which the bladder falls out of the vagina.
There are a few factors which may cause the condition of fallen bladder:
- Lifting heavy weights
- Strain while bowel movements
- Excessive muscle straining during childbirth
Symptoms of the condition may include:
- Pain or pressure in the lower abdomen
- Pain in the lower back
- Urine leakage
- Feeling of fullness or heaviness in pelvic region
- Protrusion of the bladder
- Difficulties in sexual intercourse
- Urine leakage when lifting anything, coughing or standing
In most cases diagnosis can be done through analysing the symptoms and physical examination. Treatment options for this condition may include:
- Inserting a device called Pessary into the vagina, which will help in holding the bladder in place.
- Surgery to move the bladder to the right position
- Estrogen replacement therapy, which will help make the muscles around the bladder and vagina strong.