When all the other Assisted Reproductive Technologies fail to attain results, an infertile couple may seek IVF treatment. The outcome of every procedure may vary accordingly. IVF can give a couple the best results or can sometimes be disappointing. There are various factors that contribute to the success rate of an IVF treatment. The outcome of the procedure may vary according to the following factors:
- The woman’s age: Age is an important concern when going for an IVF or any other ART treatment. A woman under the age 35 has more chance of getting conceived after IVF treatment than a woman over the age of 35.
- Condition of the uterus: If the uterus is not in a normal condition, it won’t support the procedure.
- Condition of the eggs: The total number of eggs, their maturity level and quality have a vital role in deciding the success rate of the eggs.
- The cause of the infertility may play a role in determining the success rate of the procedure.
- The skill and expertise of the doctor and clinic, the couple chooses.
An increase in the IVF stimulation attempts may also increase the success rate of the treatment. A maximum of 3-4 stimulation cycles can be good. There are various other factors that may also affect the chance of success of the infertility treatments.
- A female partner with a good prognosis can help increase the chance of IVF.
- A female with an FSH level above 15mIU/ml on a basal cycle day-3 can be a factor that may decrease the success rate of the treatment.
The success rate may also vary according to different clinics. It is vital to have a detailed discussion regarding the treatment procedure and success rates with your doctor.